Blog #2

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

1. What are your achievements?

Student Council is where I give my unconditional attention to. It is absolutely my favorite organization and the one I have donated my time to the most. I have been an officer for Student Council since my freshman year of high school and in my coming senior year, I plan to run as president. We do many community activities as a group and our dedication is apparent. Our school remains a dedicated member for the Make-A-Wish cause, donating at least $1000 each year to make a child's wish come true. It requires a lot of work in fundraising but it is also a rewarding feeling once we have reached our goal. The rest of the extra money we earn usually goes to our Adopt-A-Family. Each Christmas we adopt a different family who are unable to provide presents for their children. We give them a little boost by using the money to go and buy gifts such as toys, clothing, electronics, etc. Then we all get together to wrap the presents so they can be presented beautifully and to demonstrate our dedication and care.


2. What issues matter to you?

Money seems to come up in every situation even as much as we try to avoid it. Raising gas prices has been crippling the economy not only in the U.S. but the whole world leaving a path of destruction and quite a large dent in our pocketbooks. This is a growing problem that every citizen should become aware of because it is a factor in our everyday lives, whether is keeping us warm in the winter, cooking our food, or providing us with the much needed fuel for transportation. Airplane tickets have grown tremendously making people like me, difficult to visit our relatives oversees. Even to simply drive you car to work has deemed a hassle to some, so much so that other have to consider if going to the grocery store is worth the gas.


3. Who has been an influence on you?

From "that one kid" in second grade to my father, everyone has been an influence to me in one way. We encounter many things growing up, that at first glance may not seem to have a significant impact but in reality affects your life. The most prominent footprints that have been made on my life belong to my father. He is a punctual, hardworking, wise man with an intrepid personality whom I look up to in every moment of my waking life. He can give advice through my troubles, give me space when I need to think, or give me boundaries so when I know what is "crossing the line." He is the definition of role model through my eyes and my appreciation for him is ineffable.


4. Why do you want to attend our school?

UNO allows every student to have an opportunity to extend their knowledge beyond high school. For me, it is a sensible choice that will broaden my horizons and allow me to escape the boorishness behavior of students I encountered in high school. UNO is instate which allows me to save more money by paying for a tuituion that is realistic. It can help me save more of my money for graduate school so I can be less apprehensive and rest easier. The environment is not an abhorrent one either, it is located in Omaha where all the businesses are located making it easier to get a job during school or to get recruited once you have graduated. In my own personal experience here at UNO, I appreciate the incisive teachers that will help me achieve. This university is perfect for my ambitions to study abroad as well offering an enormous variety of different countries available for the taking. I've also discovered that many students in the pre-med program at UNO are admitted to UNMC each year, increasing my chances of getting accepted and graduate med school, my ultimate goal in life. Attending UNO would be a sagacious choice for my future.

0 comments: